Dermal Fillers, in the form of Injectable Fillers, are a way of enhancing your appearance with soft tissue augmentation, minimizing visible signs of aging that occur over time as a result of sun exposure, heredity and life style.
Why Dermal Fillers?
One of the earliest signs of aging is a loss of facial fullness and the development of wrinkles. Softening these facial lines and restoring volume and fullness to your face can often be achieved non-surgically with Injectable Fillers.
Dermal Fillers can help to restore facial contours and reduce the appearance of lines and creases. Specifically, Injectable Fillers can:
- Plump thin lips
- Enhance shallow contours
- Soften facial creases and wrinkles
- Improve the appearance of recessed scars
What Are The Different Types of Dermal Fillers?
- Hyaluronic Acid is a natural substance found in our bodies, and is suitable for plumping thin lips and filling facial creases such as “smile” or “laugh” lines. It can also be used for surface wrinkles and concave scars. The results may last 6 months or longer.
- Hydroxylapatite is a mineral-like compound found naturally in human bones, suspended in a gel-like formulation. It is the heaviest of facial fillers and is recommended for deeper creases, as well as to enhance fullness of the cheeks and other facial contours.
- Human fat, harvested from your own body, can be re-injected to enhance facial fullness, fill deep creases and to build up shallow contours. Fat injection requires a more extensive procedure than other Injectable Fillers because it uses liposuction techniques to extract the fat prior to injection. Treatment results last up to a year or more in some cases and are highly variable. (Fat can be stored for your own future treatment. The duration of results from pre-served fat is not as favorable as fat used at the same time it is harvested.)
- Mild swelling or bruising
- Temporary numbness or redness
- An “over-filled” appearance to treated areas
Dermal Fillers Procedure
During your initial consultation, our skilled Board-Certified aestheticians will evaluate your facial appearance and skin tone, and make the necessary recommendations for the Dermal Fillers that will best suit your needs.
During the actual procedure, strategic points may be marked as guides to the appropriate injection sites, and the sites will be cleansed with an antibacterial agent. Icing or a topical numbing agent may be offered to make the patient more comfortable, or, in some cases, the filler itself may contain a local anesthetic agent. Some Dermal Fillers may require a local anesthetic ad-ministered to the injection site.
Following the injection, any markings will be cleansed and icing may be offered to alleviate any temporary, minor discomfort. Makeup may be carefully re-applied so long as care is taken not to apply pressure to the treatment area.
Filling wrinkles or recessed scars involves multiple injections. In some cases where deeper injection of fillers is required, a local anesthetic may be used prior to treatment.
Dermal Fillers Recovery
The results of Injectable Fillers are apparent immediately. Your initial appearance after treatment with any filler may include:
These can be alleviated with topical icing and will improve within a matter of hours or simply a few days.
In cases where fat is the injected filler, these conditions may persist for a few weeks.
Dermal Fillers Results
An improved appearance is visible almost immediately, although minor swelling or bruising may appear at the injection sites.
The results of soft tissue augmentation with injectable fillers are not permanent, even though a filler substance may be considered permanent. The continued aging of your face and variables in the absorption of fillers will affect how long your results last.
Should you choose not to repeat treatment, your appearance will return to its original condition. Plumped lips will lose volume and improved wrinkles, creases and scars will visibly recess and fully reappear in time.
The results of permanent fillers can change over time; as you age naturally, these fillers may shift or clump.
Surgical removal may be necessary to correct these conditions and could result in visible changes in appearance and noticeable changes in the texture of soft tissue.
Dermal Fillers do not stop the aging process, and cannot achieve the same results. If you wish to change the overall look of your face with permanent results, a surgical procedure such as a facelift, brow lift or eye lift may be the more appropriate solution.
Bragdon-Stofman Plastic Surgery Group’s Board-Certified aestheticians have the knowledge and extensive experience to help find the right Skin Care Solution to help you look your best. Please refer to our Skin Care Page for more details, and contact us today to schedule an appointment.